6.20.2010

getting ready...

With just two and a half weeks until my due date, I've been a sewing and laundry fool lately! Here's some of what I've been up to...

Cloth diaper covers all washed and ready to go. My super sweet coworkers gave us 12 weeks of diaper delivery service, so the only thing we'll need to worry about for a while is taking care of the covers and the service will handle the rest. Sweet!


Changing pad cover and a back support pillow made out of uber cute turtle fabric with a coordinating large dot fabric. I used this tutorial for the changing pad cover, and it was surprisingly easy...except for threading the darn elastic through. If I make another one, I'll probably cut a strip of elastic that's longer than 36 inches to make it not fit *quite* so snugly.



Three dozen cloth wipes to use instead of disposable wipes. Two dozen flannel-on-flannel and one dozen flannel-on-terry, all made with (somewhat girly) flannel and terry cloth that I've had in my stash for a really long time. My original intent was to use a serger to make these, but that didn't really work out so I just went with a zig-zag stitch around the edges. They've all been washed at least twice, and so far they seem to be holding up well (I can deal with a few random threads).


Super simple blankets made out of a yard and a half of seersucker fabric. My friend Natalie suggested this to me as a good lightweight blanket for summer babies. Wait, even though today is the summer solstice I don't think it got above 55 degrees today...so will summer ever really come to Seattle this year?? Who knows, but at least I'll be prepared with lightweight blankets if it does!


And finally, a few burp cloths made out of my favorite flannels that I've been hoarding for quite a while. The two elephant burp cloths are a little smaller than I'd like, but that's all the flannel of that print I had left and I was determined to use it! :)


So that's where we are. The nursery isn't quite complete yet, but at least most of our other preparations are done!

1 comment:

Allison The Imp said...

Lovely pieces you have there. The turtles are awesome! I sewed quite a bit when I was waiting for my daughter, now 6. her (special) blankie is one I made. Nothing extraordinary in the making nor the fabric but it's something that ties us together and makes me happy.