2.04.2010

Hi...

I’ve been such a bad blogger these last several months! We do have a good excuse though, and since I’m pretty sure all of our friends and family who read this blog already know...I won’t beat around the bush. I’m pregnant! Due the first week of July, and we’ll find out next week if the little one is a boy or a girl. We are so, so, so thrilled about this baby (and also a little bit nervous, if I’m being honest). Karl and I have been together a little over 9 years now, so we’ve definitely had our 1+1=2 time. It was still a complex decision to make that big leap to 1+1=3 though, and a decision we definitely didn’t take lightly...but make the leap we have, and we are barreling toward July with hopeful/nervous anticipation.


And now to answer the top 10 questions I’ve been getting...

1) How are you feeling? The first 6-8 weeks after that BFP (that’s Big Fat Positive, in pregnancy-speak) were pretty brutal. I was crampy, insanely exhausted and would feel wicked nauseous and dizzy if I didn’t eat every 2-3 hours. My energy is back now though, and for the most part the nausea has ceased. Being pregnant is very weird, but overall I’d say I feel really good considering all the craziness that’s going on inside my body right now. I haven’t had any major cravings or aversions to speak of, except for maybe fruit and chocolate milk cravings.

2) How much weight have you gained? My first response to this question would normally be “None of your business, don’t be so nosy!”...but since it seems to be a common question I’ll have you know that I lost 2 pounds during my first trimester and I have no idea what’s happened since then because I haven’t had my next doctor’s appointment yet (and I don’t weigh myself at home, except on the Wii Fit...and I haven’t been on the Wii in a while).

3) You’re not still planning on growing that big vegetable garden, are you?? Yes, of course we are! Honestly, one of my pet peeves is when people think they know what I will and will not be able to handle while pregnant and/or after the baby comes. Growing fresh, organic food is one of my biggest passions, and I will always make time for it in one form or another. Seed starting will begin within the next few weeks, plants typically go in the ground by Mother’s Day (early May) and then harvesting/preserving doesn’t really start in earnest until August so I’ll be home on maternity leave and hopefully will be adjusting well to life with a newborn by that point. Plus, Karl has always been and will continue to be a big help when I need it. During the peak 2009 harvest time I threw my back out something fierce, and was out of commission for several weeks…and he did all the picking and an awful lot of the canning as well during that time.

4) But how will Henry handle a new baby in the house? Who knows! He hasn’t been around a lot of babies, but we’re confident that he’ll be able to adapt well to the bambino. If we need to do additional training with him, then so be it. No biggie.


5) What about the cats? You aren’t planning on keeping them after the baby comes, are you? I’m always shocked that anyone would ask us this question, but I seem to get it a fair amount...so let me just say that we are absolutely keeping the cats! Hobbes and Cooper have adjusted so well to anything we throw at them, and we’re positive that they’ll adjust to baby also. As long as they have each other and a warm place to nap and cuddle, they are happy!

6) You’re not going to go all hippy dippy on us with this baby, are you? Come on now, do you even have to ask this question?! We try to live our lives as eco-friendly as possible, and that won’t change where the baby is concerned. Stay tuned for more details on this in a future post.

7) What room will you use for the nursery? We’re going to convert the red room into the nursery. It won’t be red anymore though!

8) What about work/daycare? I’m currently working on this one, and don’t have too much to share yet. I know what Karl and I both want, but it’s going to take a little more work before everyone else agrees with us. :)

9) Have you picked out a name? We have picked out a boy’s name, but not a girl’s name yet. Even though we are 99.9% sure of the boy’s name, we still reserve the right to change our minds so I’m not going to share anything just yet.

10) Are you planning on having a natural childbirth? I believe that everyone should keep their options open and do what feels right for them at the time. I also know that even though it would probably be one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, I am totally 100% strong enough to make it through a natural childbirth (but I won’t beat myself up if I ultimately decide on an epidural). Heck, I even strongly considered a homebirth! But don’t freak out on me, Dad...I’m going to give birth in a hospital with doctors and nurses tending to me (this time, anyway).

So there you have it, the reason for my radio silence these past few months and answers to the most common questions that I’ve gotten lately. I’ve got all sorts of ideas for future blog posts, so I’m cautiously optimistic that I’ll be consistently blogging from now on! :)

No comments: