10.19.2009

Tomato Week: Wrap-Up

To wrap up tomato week, I wanted to highlight two varieties of tomatoes grown in our garden this year. A winner and a loser, if you will.


First up is the Sun Gold Hybrid. We bought this seedling at the Tilth plant sale earlier in the year, and man alive did we ever get our money’s worth out of this tomato plant! The plant is HUGE, over 7 feet tall, and it is insanely prolific. And the best part? These are the best tasting cherry tomatoes that I’ve ever had, and we’ve been eating them like candy for about two months straight now. We’ll most definitely be growing this one again.


In fact, I think one of these plants will keep us covered on the cherry tomato front. We harvested 2-5 pounds per week for about 2 months straight!


Next is the Tasty Evergreen. As the name suggests, this is a green tomato. As the name also suggests, this is quite a tasty tomato. However, much to my husband’s chagrin, I don’t think I’ll grow green tomatoes again. It’s enough work to stay on top of 20+ tomato plants...but to also try and remember which plants are the green ones and to keep an eye on them to figure out when the fruit goes from green and unripe to green and ripe? Way too much work for this suburban farmer!

For those of you who actually read all 6 of these posts...thanks for sticking around! Hopefully you didn’t mind a themed week too much, because I think I’m going to do another themed week coming up soon...camping week, anyone??

No comments: