8.20.2009

epic fail

I'm willing to try just about anything in the kitchen, so a few weeks back I tried my hand at pickles. I followed this recipe as well as the pickling spice recipe linked to in that same post. I used up nearly 3 pounds of cucumbers grown from the garden. I anxiously set the jars down in a cool dark place and waited for several days before peeking in on them.


EPIC FAIL! I'm not sure where I went wrong, but neither Karl nor I could stomach even a tiny bite of these. The cloudy liquid was our first clue that something was amiss. The horrible taste was the second clue, and then all ~3 lbs of them went into the yard waste bin. I'm sure I must have taken a wrong step somewhere along the process, because typically the recipes I get from that site are superb.

What a waste! Oh well...I shall persevere in this pickle battle. We have warm sunny days this week, which should bode well for a 2nd crop of cucumbers with which I can try again. And this time I'm going for a simple recipe. One that actually includes vinegar would be nice, too.

Victory will be mine! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh no! We had a couple mishaps in the canning process last weekend as well. We had a couple of jars of tomatos explode on us. What a mess! One in the pressure cooker (confined mess) and another all over the kitchen as Scott decided to try to clean a jar in the sink after taking it out of the pressure cooker. Thermal shock to the glass and POOF! What a mess!! We had tomatoes all over the wall, cabinets, floor, window. Luckily no one was hurt though by the flying glass.