3.29.2009

trying to grow potatoes, part I

My approach to gardening is fairly simple - I think about the food I like to eat and I try to grow it! :) My dad always says that I have a green thumb (perhaps all of the "helicopter trees" that I planted throughout our yard as a kid had something to do with that...), so I'm hoping that he's right because I'm going to try and grow a whole bunch of potatoes this year!

My sister-in-law tells me that their potatoes ended up killing everything that was planted around them last year, so I'm going to take a different approach with my garden. Based on this example and this one, too, Karl is helping me with a few build-as-you-grow potato bins. Behold, the construction of the first bin...

We were able to salvage some 2x8s and 2x4s from our shed to use for the first layer of the first bin, but we had to buy a few 2x2s to create the 4-ft corner supports...


See all of those crazy squiggly lines on the patio in the background? That's why you should NEVER let me loose with a pressure washer when I'm bored... :)


Looks like I need to stop focusing so much on the garden and start focusing on mending one of Karl's favorite shirts...


After Karl constructed the first bin, we cut and stapled/nailed galvanized wire mesh to the bottom to prevent hungry moles from stealing my harvest (and also hopefully to keep weeds from growing up too much into the potato bin)...


And then Henry inspected and approved of our work, but it started raining before we could work on the other bins. I've got 3 types of potatoes to grow - yukon golds (which apparently don't grow too well in towers, so we're just going to build a small raised bed for these), red creamers and carola potatoes. Stay tuned to see how they turn out!

1 comment:

philnjill said...

NICE! I look forward to hearing how these turn out.