3.15.2009

I'll see your bet and raise you $3,500

I did our taxes this weekend, and it was not pretty. At all. If you know my 2007 tax story, let's just say that I seriously trumped myself with our 2008 return. You may be thinking "Umm, aren't you an accountant? How could you screw up your taxes so royally 2 years in a row??" Yeah, I've been wondering the same thing myself every since staring in shock at the amount we owe. It's embarrassing, and I've really (REALLY) been beating myself up about it. Karl, bless his sweet little heart, has been doing his best to talk me down off the ledge today, but really all I needed was some time to let it simmer before moving on.

But you know what? When life gives you lemons, cry about it for a little while and then make lemonade. Karl made the very good point that if we had taken the "right" amount of withholdings out of our checks last year then we wouldn't have felt comfortable enough to do a few of the things that we've recently done. Great point, hon!

The thing that really sucks though is that we're going to have to reschedule a trip that we were planning on taking this coming week. In order to be financially responsible and not go in to credit card debt to pay our tax bill, we're going to have to postpone the trip to MO for a few months (I'm soooooo sorry Mom, Susan, Rocky, Grandma, etc!).

Okay, enough about that. No need to worry about us, we're going to be a-okay. I just needed to get it all off my chest so I can move on from this debacle.

On another note, I woke up to this today:


Are you freaking kidding me? It's March 15, for goodness sake! According to my handy dandy Spring Garden Planner, Apr 20 is our frost free date and this marks 5 weeks before the last frost...and so by now I should have spinach, kale, onions, potatoes, beets, peas, bok choy, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, leeks and parsley out in the garden! But I'm not so sure that in 5 weeks we'll be frost free, so I'm waiting (and trying to remind myself that patience is a virtue).

So let's move on to some lemonade, shall we? We sold our table on Craigslist! (sorry Trina...) The first sale fell through, but the second one worked out swimmingly and our old table and chairs is now going to be taking up residence at the Federal Way Historical Society. :) And I've tentatively sold our futon as well....it's supposed to be picked up within the next week. Cheers to Craigslist!


Okay, thanks for listening to my rambling. Bring on the lemonade, I could certainly use it. (does red wine count as lemonade??) :)

No comments: