1.27.2009

garden dreaming

As the snow fell (again) on Sunday, I decided to start planning our 2009 vegetable garden. What better time, right?


I still have lots of seeds leftover from last year, but Karl and I just couldn't resist ordering a whole bunch more from Seed Savers. We might just be crazy, but we're going to till up about 1/4 of our backyard and turn it in to a huge garden.

In addition to the online seed order, we also picked up some seeds on sale at Fred Meyer. Anyone want to bet on whether I'll actually get foot-wide sunflowers?


So I'm going to keep a better record of the veg garden here on the blog this year. I'm going to try and keep track of what we spend and what we harvest to show how much money we're (presumably) saving by growing our own food (except that I didn't keep my Fred Meyer receipt....oops! I'm off to a bad start already!).

Veggies ordered from seedsavers.org: beans (green beans, kidney beans, white beans), broccoli, carrots, cabbage, honeydew melon, onions, chard, potatoes, squash (hubbard and butternut), lots of tomatoes and a small watermelon. Total spent: $56.50

Seeds purchased from Freddies: cilantro, basil, peas and sunflowers. Plus one curious pup (not purchased at Freddies)...


Other veggies to grow (either from starter plants or from leftover seeds): zucchini, yellow squash, pickling cucumbers, cauliflower, beets, lettuce, oregano, thyme, parsley, rosemary, leeks, sweet potatoes and peppers. Whew...I hope we can grow it all! We're just going to give it all a try and see what works. Last year I had mixed results, but overall I was pretty successful. I hope I'm even more successful in 2009!

I can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can get started on preparing the garden! I'm trying to decide if we should rent a tiller and a sod-lifter or if we should just till the grass into the dirt....any opinions?? Last year we removed the sod and tilled by hand, a back-breaking task we'll never repeat again!

1 comment:

philnjill said...

If you till the grass into the dirt, you'll likely get grow-backs into your garden. But if you cut the sod, you'll need to bring in dirt. I would be lean towards cutting the sod out. It's more time consuming, but I would think you'd be setting yourself up for more success this year and subsequent years.