6.29.2008

On beets and Jamie Oliver

I harvested our first beets this weekend! As you can see, Henry was pretty interested in what was going on...


I could have left them in to get bigger, but I was so anxious that I couldn't wait any longer! We cooked them up for dinner on Friday using this recipe, and they were soooooo good. As this is almost all of the beets that we actually planted, I'm trying to find my seed packet so I can get some more going to enjoy this year. And next year, these suckers are going to get a much bigger allocation in the garden!

With the beets we had a fabulous pasta dish from my new favorite TV chef, Jamie Oliver (recipe found here). Oh mama mia, I'd forgotten how much I LOVE fresh peas! They are so sweet! (note to self: next year, grow peas!) The peas came from the U-District farmers market 2 weeks ago and the broad beans (fava beans) came from the Renton farmers market this past Tuesday evening. I made the pea/bean mixture using the food processor, then I tossed it all with some spaghetti noodles and put some fresh mozzarella on top. This dish was so good that it reminded me that I've been remiss in adding a new category to this blog for a while now....Karlisms!

You see, I think my hubby says some pretty darn funny things that I want to remember. What better place to record them than here?

So for the first Karlism, let me set the scene: we'd just gotten done eating our dinner of beets and Jamie's pasta dish and Karl asked if there was any left for seconds. Unfortunately there wasn't, so that caused him to exclaim with his fist in the air...

Darn you Jamie Oliver! You put the flavors of spring in my mouth and then you took it away!
Maybe you had to be there to get the full humor of this, but I got a good laugh out of it!

Happy Sunday!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I looooooove Jamie Oliver. So I don't want to hear Karl badmouthing him!!!