1.12.2008

Handmade Holidays recap

Okay, now that all of the gifts have been given...I can share pictures! (actually, there are 2 other gifts still not received....so no pictures of those)

While I didn’t take the pledge, I did end up making quite a few handmade gifts this Christmas...


Gifts made by me:

:: 2 patchwork scarves, using a variety of fabrics and a chocolate brown micro-suede as the backing. Finished sizes were roughly 5 ½ in by 60 in.

:: 2 sets of green and blue tea towels and 2 sets of red and green tea towels. Patchwork tea towels may just be my new favorite homemade gift to give. So easy, and so cute! Inspired by this tutorial.

:: 2 aprons...and now I’m torn between aprons and tea towels as my favorite gift to give. :) These aren’t quite as easy as the towels, but I just love picking out the fabrics and seeing the finished product come together. Made using my favorite pattern from this set.

:: 1 super-large tote, using some accent fabric that my mom sent me back in the summer. This bag turned out quite a bit bigger than I intended...I hope you still like it, Mom! I really like a few of the finishing touches that I added to this one – top-stitched corners and snaps to help hold the boxy shape, exterior pockets between the straps and a matching covered button closure. Loosely based off a pattern from this set.


:: Dip mix duos (no photos though) – Mediterranean and Bloody Mary dip mixes...just add sour cream! Got the recipes from Sunset magazine, and some sweet little containers from The Container Store. My new little mini food processor sure came in handy for chopping up those dried tomatoes!

:: Lots of homemade cookies – my friend Leslie and I have an annual Christmas cookie day, and then we make up plates for coworkers, neighbors and friends. No pictures to share of this year’s cookies, but they were well-received as always!

Gifts made by someone else, but still handmade:

:: Beautiful sewing-themed photo from Sam Lamb. The quality of this print is superb, and I just fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Got a similar, but different, image for myself, and can’t wait to show it off once I get it framed. Sam was so great to work with! Responded really quickly, answered my many questions, sent the package right away, reasonable prices. I’ll definitely be ordering more from her in the future!

:: Handmade soaps. These smell so heavenly!

:: Notecards made from vintage wallpaper. Such a great concept!

:: A little purse made with wool suiting fabric and accent fabric imported from Japan. The soaps, notecards and purse were all picked up from local artists at the Queen Anne Trunk Show a while back. I love supporting local artists!

So there you have it...my handmade holidays 2007. Hopefully there will be even more for 2008!

No comments: