11.04.2007

UFO sighting

Unfinished objects, that is.

This morning I decided that since we got an extra hour with daylight savings time, I would take the extra hour and turn some of my UFOs into FOs (finished objects).

First up, a new bag for me. Karl brought home Amy Butler's Sew-It Kit for me a few weeks back (what a sweetie, right?!). I loved several of the projects (even though quite a few are repeats from her In Stitches book), and decided to make her market tote first.


After finishing it, I realized that I sewed the main body together sideways (it was supposed to be wider than it is tall...oh well!). I made a few slight modifications to the pattern: used heavy duty canvas as an interfacing, added some interior pockets and made a covered button and loop closure. Next time, I think I'll add an exterior pocket between the straps.

This is one big bag. To give a bit of perspective, here's an action shot:



Next up was a gift for Karl's boss, who is expecting his first child any day now. A set of 4 burp cloths, roughly 10 in by 18 in, with terry cloth on one side and flannel on the other. Super simple!


Then I moved on to a baby blanket that has been giving me pause for a while now. It's for Melissa's first niece. Lesson learned from this project? I don't like working with stretchy fabric like chenille (which is what I used on the back of this blanket)! Actually, I learned this lesson before with minkee...but it's so soft and cuddly that I keep trying again! This turned out a bit puffy, but I hope the recipient likes it anyway!


Ahh, much better when it's all folded up! :)


Finally (FINALLY!), I finished up a Christmas gift from last year...my final set of place mats. I really struggled with finishing this project, because so many things went wrong with it. It ended up being a little too small for a full place setting, I couldn't quilt straight lines for the life of me and I wasn't entirely sure what to do with the white squares in the middle (which was my inspiration fabric). Again, hopefully the recipient likes it! As Karl often tells me, I'm very hard on myself when it comes to things that I make...


Happy Sunday, all! I'm off to work on another sewing project (I'm on a roll!)...and maybe I'll have a glass of wine while I'm at it. :)

(please excuse my poor photos today...with the exception of one, they were all taken inside in poor light...but I knew that I needed to photograph everything today or else I'd probably slack off in posting)

2 comments:

Carrie said...

What did I do today, while you were finishing all that stuff? I started a new scarf and a new sock. Technically, the sock is the second of a pair, so it's not really new. And I NEEEED the scarf because it's a good travel-to-Hawaii project. Right?

Love the flannel you used for the burp cloths--let me know if you're running low . . .

Anonymous said...

Love the bag -- too cute!
You're very talented.
~julie