9.06.2007

time to face the music

Karl and I have set a goal during the month of September to go on a walk every day. Because, let's face it, we've gained a lot of weight over the years and there isn't going to be any magic potion that suddenly gives us the metabolism of our youth (oh how I wish!). So far we've stuck to it, and we've walked about 2 miles each evening (and our aching backs and legs are telling us that this is long overdue). I've heard that it takes 30 days to form a habit, so I'm really hoping that by the end of this month we are in full-on fitness mode and are seeing some results.


So I'm committed to walking every day, and when that gets easy I'll add in another layer of exercise. And we're cooking healthier, too. We've actually been doing that for a while now, so at least we're already in the habit of eating (mostly) healthier meals.

Besides the obvious health benefits of losing weight, I want to be happy (again) with what I see when I look in the mirror. I want to smile more and feel comfortable in my skin. I want to have more energy. I want people to stop wondering if I'm pregnant or if I've just gained weight (that gets old REAL quick, btw). I want to feel and look good again, darn it!

And I want to get there before I turn 30. So that means that I've got 225 days to reach my goal. To help keep me accountable, I'm going to keep a public record of my journey here on this blog. I've also made myself a journal so I can write out some more personal thoughts and track my progress.


And...I've collected a whole bunch of quotes about perseverance to try and keep me motivated. Because you know I love a good quote! :)

The rewards for those who persevere far exceed the pain that must precede the victory.--Ted W. Engstrom

If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking. ~Buddhist Saying


Here's to persevering through the pain! :)

4 comments:

Carrie said...

Man, I have to get on that train, too. I'd just so much rather knit than exercise!!

Karl said...

I like the picture of the cook book and your shoes. That is a nice looking picture.

I wish we were losing the weight faster, but I'm glad you're pushing us.

~K

Anonymous said...

How's it going so far?
-julie

-Lorraine said...

You can do it, Laura! And you are worth it! I'm supporting you all the way!