7.18.2007

How Does Your Garden Grow?

I was getting worried that our tomatoes weren’t going to produce any fruit this year, because a certain somebody’s tomato plants were already producing red tomatoes and mine didn’t even have a single one sprouted even though I planted mine so much sooner than she did. Jealous, much? Nah… :)

But lo and behold, my worries were unwarranted!


Ain’t she pretty? We’ve now got so many Early Girls and cherry tomatoes going that we bought a canning cookbook to prepare for the “harvest”. I’m so excited!

Here are a few other pictures of the yard:

…hydrangeas in the most lovely shade of blue. I love being able to see these outside of our bedroom window…


…the rock wall in our backyard that my mother-in-law weeded and hand-clipped for us (since we still don’t have a weed whacker). HAND-CLIPPED, people!…


…the rose bed, also recently weeded by my mother-in-law. We laid down fresh mulch and planted the moss after they left, and we’re hoping that the moss expands outward to cover up that whole area eventually. Unfortunately it’s had a bit of transplant shock and isn’t doing too well (something I’m hoping our rain this week will help with, since nothing beats rainwater for grass and plants)…


…the planter wheel in our front yard with lots of purple and orange daisies…


I’m really loving the idea of growing most of our own food, and would like to stretch our gardening muscle next year. Here’s what I’m daydreaming of planting in our garden…zucchini, tomatoes, eggplant, garlic, leeks, lettuce, bok choy, kale, bell peppers and strawberries. I don’t even know if all of those things grow well in the Pacific Northwest (or if we’ll have room for all of that), but I’m willing to give it a try! Oh, and I’d love to mimic Philip and Jill and grow an herb garden like theirs – it is amazing. I’ll have to try and convince him to send me some pictures so I can post them here (hint, hint).

Other things I’m dreaming of for the yard are installing rain barrels off our drain spouts, removing the roses from the lower part of the yard and replacing them with something more suited to that shady spot (and also something that’s more pest-free, hopefully) and drawing out plans (with Karl’s help, of course) for the patio out back and for the flower beds in the front. Oh, to have unlimited time and money (and energy) to work on the yard!

Tomorrow (Thursday) is the one-year anniversary of the closing on our house. In some ways it feels like we’ve lived here for so much longer, and in other ways it feels like we’re still just getting settled. We’ve come a long way in one year, and I’m excited to see what we do in year two!

1 comment:

philnjill said...

Pictures of the herb garden here:
http://www.philnjill.com/housework5.htm

And I have an electric weed whacker you can have next time we see each other.