1.22.2007

Best Soup Ever

We interrupt Henry time to bring you two recipes....but don't worry, they will be closely followed by so many photos of the pup that you are likely to get tired of him. :)

I've really been in a soup mood this winter, and these two recipes that I found on the Seattle Times website scratched that itch quite nicely today.

First up was making (for the first time) homemade chicken stock. The article said that store-bought stock doesn't even hold a candle to homemade stock, but I was skeptical. Would it really taste all that different? Would it be worth all that effort? Oh yes, my friends, it was completely worth it. Velvety smooth, rich, and surprisingly easy (although it does make for a ton of dishes to wash).



Refer to the link above for the recipe, or feel free to email me and I'll send it to you (I'm just too lazy to re-type it all). The only change I made to the Times' recipe is to add a few bay leaves to the mix. Mmmm, mmmm, good. And as an added bonus, I got 4 cups of shredded chicken to go with the several quarts of chicken stock!

That shredded chicken came in handy for tonight's dinner - Burmese Chicken-Coconut Soup, as adapted from the cookbook "From Curries to Kebabs: Recipes from the Indian Spice Trail" by Madhur Jaffrey. We added a bit more salt than the recipe called for, and since I didn't have any lo-main noodles on hand I just used whole wheat angel hair. To quote Karl, this was the best homemade soup I've ever had in my life! A hint of spice, but then the coolness of the coconut milk - absolutely fabulous. I don't even have a picture to share because we gulped it down too fast!

So if you are looking for some yummy soups/stocks to try, I'd highly recommend these two!

No comments: